Fire displaces two in Plain View

Posted

A fire in the Plain View community Tuesday night left a family of two homeless and destroyed most of their personal belongings.

The Plain View Fire Department was the first department to respond the blaze on Stone Place Road which is off Christmas Tree Road in the northern part of the county.

Plain View Chief Ken Jackson reported the home was fully involved when he arrived.

Sampson County Deputy Fire Marshal Josh Deaver said residents Chona Stewart and Devin Stewart were in the house when the fire broke out. They were able to escape without injury.

The family was renting the home. Mr. Deaver said he spoke to Jessica McKoy, who is one of the owners of the home.

Mr. Deaver said the fire originated in the kitchen, likely on the stove.

Mr. Deaver said a nearby mobile home was threatened from the fire but was not damaged.

The Spivey’s Corner, Vann’s Crossroads. Herring and Dunn Emergency Services departments responded to the fire.

Mr. Deaver said the American Red Cross was also on the scene to provide short-term assistance for the family.

The fire is the second one within a week that left a family without a home. There was another home on Payton Daniels Road in the Mingo community last Thursday that also left a family with almost no personal belongings.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment